Gimlet Media is here to create a world more full of human connection and understanding. Our roster of podcasts includes critically-acclaimed shows like Reply All, Crimetown, The Clearing, Heavyweight and Homecoming. We have top editorial, sales, and business teams that work together to create experiences that help listeners better understand each other and the world around them. We are looking for ambitious, curious, talented, and kind people to join our team. We come from diverse backgrounds, brought together by the desire to create amazing experiences for listeners, and a shared belief in working hard, embracing creativity, and supporting one another. At Gimlet, good ideas matter more than titles. People who tackle problems with creative solutions, and who love the energy of a collaborative, team-oriented creative process thrive here. We’re proud to have recently joined the Spotify family with whom we share these values, and we’re thrilled to begin building production capacity on the West Coast.
We’re looking for a collaborative, detail-oriented audio engineer with a strong technical background to join Gimlet’s Los Angeles based production team. This person will lead all technical processes, supporting Gimlet producers, hosts, and contributors with file sharing and organization, studio use, field recordings, and Pro Tools use. This person will work in conjunction with the audio engineering team, and source any necessary freelance support to mix and score daily episodes to the Gimlet’s high standard of quality. They must be able to work in harmony with different teams to meet tight deadlines. The ability to multitask and prioritize under pressure are key.
What You’ll Do
- Work collaboratively with a team of producers, hosts, engineers and composers
- Work closely with episode producers and editors to take stories from rough cut through final mix
- Work with the Gimlet and Spotify’s Technical Staff to define production workflows
- Work remotely with Gimlett’s Brooklyn-based Audio Engineering staff to maintain consistency in quality across our show catalog
- Understand and support all technical aspects of production
- Manage and maintain files and data for the show, as well as support file sharing systems for the team, with help from Gimlet’s Technical & Engineering Lead
- Support and troubleshoot studio, remote, and field recording workflows and tools for our LA-Based production team
- Train producers in Pro Tools best practices and show-specific production processes
- Build, Edit, and Mix Episodes and Series
- Dialogue editing and cleanup: Clip gain leveling, crossfading, de-noising, and smoothing edits in preparation for final mix
- Music Editing and Pacing – Arrange scoring in the show assembly. Help producers select music for specific contexts, arrange song options to match the episode content, and edit scoring choices to usable lengths
- Mix episodes and segments, balancing music, voiceover and archival tape to a clear consistent quality while ensuring final mixes adhere to broadcast publish specifications
- Manage the post-production schedule on the day of publish, knowing when to expect show elements, and how to estimate the timing of final deliverables
What You’ll Bring
- At least 3+ years working professionally in an audio production environment (Podcast, Post-Production, Music, Other)
- Impeccable attention to detail, especially in naming systems and file organization
- Expert time management skills. You calmly and effectively prioritize short-term and long-term projects
- Ability to communicate with internal and external teams in a calm and concise manner
- Pro Tools mastery – an in-depth understanding of the tools and techniques used with the latest versions of the software
- Rhythmic ear for arranging sound elements (dialogue, music, sound clips)
- Demonstrated audio restoration experience using iZotope RX7
- Solid understanding of industry standard audio plug-ins
- Thorough understanding of recording studio technology, audio production workflows and remote connection utilities (VoIP, Source Connect, Comrex, etc)
- Excellent Mac OS troubleshooting abilities
- Music Composition skill and experience are a plus
- Sound Design experience is a plus
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 299 million users.