Spotify is seeking a Data/Research Scientist to join our Algorithmic Impact & Responsibility effort. This effort is focused on empowering Spotify teams to assess the algorithmic impact of their products on audio culture, avoid algorithmic harms and unintended data or machine learning side-effects, and better serve worldwide audiences and creators.
Your role will be to develop methods to track Spotify’s recommendation and programming impact, and increase our ability to understand the effects of data and machine learning choices on listener and creator communities. Significant cross-functional collaboration is expected, and you’ll deeply influence the way that algorithmic responsibility is operationalized across policy, product and content teams at Spotify. You’ll leverage Spotify’s data infrastructure, and collaborate with a global community of data analysts, researchers, product and policy teams. You will increase our abilities to understand the effects of data, machine learning and recommendation choices on listener and creator communities, including topics such as information access, discovery and community growth.
What you’ll do
- Develop methods to track impact of programming, machine learning and recommendations on audio culture
- Create sampling strategies and datasets to better understand representation in audio.
- Develop ways to translate abstract calls to actions into practical strategies, methods and recommendations for teams.
- Determine how Spotify should track impact of its (algorithmic) recommendations. Identify priorities for product and model audits, which could include data, modeling or metric-related needs. Help understand characteristics of datasets and models, assess irregularities and address them.
- Combine both Spotify-wide tools, with product-specific case studies and methods.
- Help teams understand the impact of data and model choices on podcast/music recommendation, and listener and creator communities
- Develop methods to understand network effects, and anomalies.
- Produce reports, papers, visualizations and other internal/external analytics communications. Represent the team internally and externally with stakeholders.
Who you are
- You have leadership experience in the data science realm, and 8+ years experience doing analytics & data science research.
- You have a track record of setting research agendas, and executing on them. You value the use of data and visualizations to tell the story behind the data and level up the responsible development of our products through these insights.
- You have relevant experience analyzing complex, large-scale data with SQL (experience with Google BigQuery a plus), Python, and/or R, and have experience defining and iterating metrics.
- You can deliver network analyses, trend analyses and anomaly detection. You are very experienced with large-scale data analysis, dashboarding and visualization tools. (e.g., network visualization libraries, tools such as Tableau).
- You have an advanced degree (PhD preferred) in data science, statistics, computational social science, HCI, network science, Machine Learning or a related field.
- Modeling and statistical knowledge is expected. You don’t have to be a Machine Learning practitioner, but, you do have understanding of recommendations, data and Machine Learning in industry practice.
- You have an ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams in situations of ambiguity, with only high-level direction
- You know how to understand and tackle loosely defined problems and come up with relevant strategies and actionable insights, and advice to teams and leadership.
- You have strong communication skills, experience working across multiple teams. Mentoring and managing experience are a plus.
- You must be comfortable reviewing or be exposed to sensitive content, and having related conversations with teams.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 299 million users.