The Personalization team makes deciding what to play next easier and more enjoyable for every listener. From Daily Mix to Discover Weekly, we’re behind some of Spotify’s most-loved features. We built them by understanding the world of music and podcasts better than anyone else. Join us and you’ll keep millions of users listening by making great recommendations to each and every one of them.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability, and continued development. You will build the backend systems that power our application, scale highly distributed systems, and continuously improve our engineering practices. Above all, your work will impact the way the world experiences audio.
What You’ll Do
- Architect, design, develop, deploy and operate Java services that serve millions of users in a DevOps manner.
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to determine how to scalably design backend systems and APIs to meet their needs
- Leverage Spotify’s many data sets to create awesome audio personalization.
- Be a technical leader and valued contributor in an autonomous, cross-functional agile team
- Collaborate with other engineers, product owners, and designers to identify and solve challenging problems, creating awesome music sessions for users worldwide.
- Be part of the Spotify-wide backend developer community affecting and driving our architecture across the company.
- Work on what you want during regular hack days and bi-annual hack weeks.
- Work from our awesome office in New York where we solve problems in the areas of Music Recommendations, Personalized Sets, and Music Understanding.
Who You Are
- You have experience being a technical leader or mentor
- You have 5+ years of experience in designing and building distributed, high-volume services in Java
- You are experienced with deploying and operating services on Linux.
- You have a deep understanding of system design, data structures, and algorithms.
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
- You can quickly scope the size and feasibility of projects of all sizes.
- You love working in an environment where you constantly experiment and iterate quickly.
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 299 million users.