We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join a band within the organization responsible for company key metrics, insights and data. Our mission is to be the Center of Excellence for data and analytics engineering, and to turn billions of daily data points into insights and datasets that power key business decisions at Spotify.
As a Senior Data Engineer in D&M (Data & Metrics product area) you will join a team of data engineers responsible for maintaining and evolving some of the most critical datasets in the company, such as the ones that ultimately power our Discovery Weekly feature, our company key metrics, royalty calculations, financial forecasting & performance management and much more. You will design and implement data pipelines with requirements for scalability, availability and quality. This as well as be instrumental to setting the golden standards and engineering best practices for the rest of the data engineering community at Spotify. This role is based in NYC.
Data and information has become an invaluable asset for technology companies that focus on innovation and are dedicated to providing a great user experience. Spotify is taking this concept to heart and driving a “Data as a Product” initiative for its own data consumers within the company. The volume and breadth of data at Spotify is staggering – trillions of records of streamed music, app interactions, artist information and user behavior trends flow through our platform on a daily basis. This squad and its product area are at the center of this initiative. You will partner with business and engineering teams to prioritize requests and consistently deliver value against time-sensitive priorities. If you have a desire to exhibit and grow your technical skills, and are motivated by working directly with stakeholders, product managers and engineers, then this is a great opportunity to join the band.
What you’ll do
- Getting hands-on experience with Google Cloud Platform and technology/languages such as BigQuery, Scala, Scio, Luigi, Styx and Docker
- Understand what fuels many of Spotify’s product features such as Discover Weekly, Daily Mix, Podcast offerings, holiday campaigns and others
- Work hand-in-hand with the data science community to understand various user or content trends that influence product changes and customer acquisition strategies
- Collaboration on a global scale; our squad offers ongoing opportunities to work in Stockholm with other engineering colleagues
- Innovate our data products to create a single coherent platform with sources of truth that serve a plethora of product and data stakeholders
- Communicate insights and recommendations to key stakeholders, engineering, data science and product partners
- Work in a supportive team that offers engineers the flexibility to be creative and chase interesting ideas
- Work closely with the product manager, end-users and stakeholders to understand, document, troubleshoot and analyze requirements for complex data solutions
- Lead and mentor engineers as we grow the bigger team
- … and of course, having fun! Being passionate about what you do also means celebrating milestones within the team and the tribe!
Who you are
- A BS/MS in CS or any other relevant fields of study
- You have 5+ years of experience in the development of high-quality database and data solutions.
- Strong analytical and problem solving ability
- Have worked in a team with both Data Engineers and Data Scientists
- You are capable of tackling very loosely defined problems and thrive when working on a team which has autonomy in their day to day decisions
- You are a self-motivated individual contributor and great teammate with the ability to multitask, prioritize and communicate progress in a rapidly changing environment.
- Would like to build skills to further enhance the t-shape within analytics and data engineering
- Strong coding skills in preferably Scala, Java and Python
- Strong communication and data presentation skills (such as Tableau, PowerPoint, Qlik, etc.)
- Experience performing analysis with large datasets in a cloud based-environment, preferably with an understanding of Google’s Cloud Platform
- You are a communicative person that values building strong relationships with colleagues and multiple stakeholders, and have the ability to explain complex topics in simple terms
- Ideally you have experience working in a large scale, global consumer product company, in an engineering or insights role
You are welcome at Spotify for who you are, no matter where you come from, what you look like, or what’s playing in your headphones. Our platform is for everyone, and so is our workplace. The more voices we have represented and amplified in our business, the more we will all thrive, contribute, and be brilliant. So bring us your personal experience, your perspectives, and your background. It’s in our differences that we will find the power to keep revolutionizing the way the world listens.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music and podcasting. Today, we are the world’s most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 299 million users.